Young people contribute to new solutions
Stena Fastigheter rethinks in order to create more summer jobs
Every year, Stena Fastigheter employs 300 summer workers. The jobs are offered to young people between the ages of 16 and 20 who live in Stena Fastigheter’s flats. The work they do includes taking care of the housing areas by weeding flowerbeds, painting and cleaning up storage areas. Including the summer workers recruited this year, Stena Fastigheter provided 1,500 summer jobs in five years! But the work on recruiting summer workers doesn’t stop there…
WE WANT MORE!
Stena Fastigheter is actively searching for partners and companies so that even more young people can get summer jobs in Malmö.
“We know our method works and we want to share it. When we, for example, recruit young people for our areas, we also inform other companies about good candidates. Often, these companies work in the same areas as we do. What’s good for the area and the individual is also good for us”, says Anna Haraldsson Jensen, relationship manager at Stena Fastigheter Malmö.
Among the companies Stena Fastigheter is collaborating with are the property companies Trianon and Willhelm. This year, Trianon will employ 13 summer workers and Willhelm seven.
“Already last year, we recruited summer workers with Stena Fastigheter’s help. It worked out so well that we’re continuing to work in the same way this year”, says Anders Nordberg, manager at Willhelm Malmö AB.
YOUNG PEOPLE CONTRIBUTE TO NEW SOLUTIONS
This summer, Stena Fastigheter will be employing young people from the company’s housing areas in Gothenburg as change agents. The summer job as a change agent means that the summer workers should develop an innovative proposal for a digital solution that will increase safety and security or create meaningful leisure time for the tenants. Young people between the ages of 18 and 22 will work together with a supervisor from the organisation Ung Handlingskraft. The summer job, which is four weeks long, includes workshops and lectures. The idea selected by the young people will be presented by them to Stena Fastigheter’s management group.
“We want to give young people who live in our areas the opportunity to develop and to encourage the positive driving force and entrepreneurial spirit they have”, says Sari Isberg, Relationship Manager at Stena Fastigheter Göteborg.
5 TIPS FOR COMPANIES WANTING TO EMPLOY SUMMER WORKERS
- Dare to employ. Think long-term and employ under fair conditions and at a standard wage rate. It is through summer jobs that you will find future talent.
- Ask for help from somebody who knows the young people in the area you want recruit from. We at Stena Fastigheter recruit among our residents and at the schools where we provide homework help.
- Begin planning the work for the summer workers in good time. At Stena Fastigheter, we begin planning for next year’s work when the year’s summer jobs end.
- Employ a supervisor. When you employ more than two persons, also employ a supervisor for the young people. In our experience, a good supervisor guarantees that the summer job will be a success for both the summer worker and the company.
- Involve the whole company so that everybody is included in order to give the young people a good a summer as possible. They are our colleagues.
QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS? GET IN TOUCH